Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Collection Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadonn

Technical User
Sep 25, 2000
CA
Hi, is there any way to take a group of users from an existing collection to great another collection? Under a collection entitled All Users, I would like to hightlight about 20 users and create another collection entitled DHS - I just don't know how to do this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cathy

Just right click all users and click new collection, but before I carry on, make sure you realise if you make a sub-collection under all users, and you have advertisements to all users the default has a checkmark to also send things to subcollections. (not a biggy but sometimes its not the best way to do things)

OK so after you make the collection, if you are using sms 2003...your going to either have to manually add the users 1 by one. If you dont want to go that route, then you can download something like:

or

Oh then maybe that is not such a good idea. This is what I am trying to achive - I have a group of users all belonging to a Division called DHS. This division is not separte in SMS. I need to run a report that shows all software installed on these computers. There is only about 20 so if I have to select them manually that would not be too bad.

Is there a better way to accomplish this task? I am not an SMS guru not a sql guru - learning both.

Thanks.

Cat

You can either use one of those tools to import and create a collection or manually add a collection (by right clicking collections and selecting new) Just make it that way and right click the collection you just made select properties, and then manually add the computer names in the mambership rules tab (star/computer) key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back