Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Authentication, Solaris, Apache, and Livelink

Status
Not open for further replies.

markorjj

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2007
US
I've been struggling to get Basic Authentication to work in our environment as follows:

Solaris 9 is the OS
Apache 2.0.55 is the Web Server
Livelink ECM 9.7.0 with the January 09 patch applied

Nothing I seem to do works, and OT Support has been pretty useless in this regard, and I can't seem to find any information on the OT Web Site either.

We are primarily trying ot get this working because of WebDAV so that we don't have to give the users a second log-in - if they are logged into the local intranet, they should be able to access Livelink without a second log-in requirement.

I have Livelink Authentication enabled, I have set up myself as a user on the Apache Server using HTPASSWD.

When I try to access any page using WebDAV, I am asked for a logon name and password. If I cancel out, it then presents me with the proper page.

If Single Sign On is being used then WebDAV will need to be configured to support Single Sign On, this is done as follows :
1) Setup the same Directory Security settings on the WebDAV virtual directory, called livelinkdav by default, as you have on the main Livelink virtual directory.
2) Goto the Livelink Admin pages and select the Specify WebLink Authentication item in the Weblink Coserver Configuration section.
3) Ensure that the Override the directory services mapping checkbox is checked.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

But Greg the poster says
I have Livelink Authentication enabled,
which is a no no with webdav.
Shouldn't he have directory services authentication since it is Solaris I would guess he would pick LDAP authentication.
Anyways there are a lot of people running livelink dirvcs succesfully by using some modperl libraries so I would suggest that either OT or the web can give you hints about making a Solaris/Apache webserver SSO before trying the livelink route.Baseline is the webserver should understand SSO before the livelink server does.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

AppNair, well spotted, I was reading the preceding paragraph which seems to contradict the Livelink Authentication statement :

"We are primarily trying ot get this working because of WebDAV so that we don't have to give the users a second log-in - if they are logged into the local intranet, they should be able to access Livelink without a second log-in requirement"

The latest version of WebDAV does allow you to specify an SSO AND a non-SSO WebDAV folder for extranet type implementations.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

I beleive the poster somehow wants to do something with livelink authentication like the user has already been presented a login page and typed password.Something like cookie based or "Remember me from now on".But unfortunately the livelinkdav or webdav directory is a COMPLETELY NEW WEB SITE so unless directory services of some kind ties the two web sites together I do not know how they could work.A very low cost method would be to use a simple fire fox add on called sxipper which allows the user to save password .When webdav prompts user can click that.My experience tells me seamless SSO can only be achived with properly configured SSO on the Livelink virtual directory as well as the Webdav virtual directory.I guess that was what Greg was hinting as well.Anyway post your experience and let us know how you solved the problem :)Good Luck

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back