Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

basic authentication after changing DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbead

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2002
US
Hi - I have just changed the DNS entry to go to the URL of our Sharepoint project. However, though it is successful, the basic authenication is no longer active. Anyone can access the page. How would I go about activiating basic authentication so users need to use their windows network login? Much like OWA? thanks,

JBead

Hi JBead,

Have you checked your website settings in IIS? And made sure that it is not set to allow anonymous access? And also check the allow anonymous settings in SharePoint. It sounds like you are allowing anonymous access to your website since anyone can access it. Although those settings should not have been changed by entering a new entry in the DNS.

Regards,
Thomas

thanks, I am not familar with IIS or sharepoint setup since I hired engineers to accomplish this. I would like to check the settings myself -how do I accomplish this? Thanks

JBead

Hi,

Login on the server that you run Sharepoint on.
Go to Start, Program, Administrative Tools, chose Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
Find your website (might be default website or if you have namned a website). Right click on it and chose properties. Chose tab direcotry security. Chose edit under authentication and access control. Check if the Enable Anonymous access is marked, if it is unmark it to remove anonymous access to that site. Also check that you have the Basic authentication marked (since you wanted that).

In SharePoint you can check the anonymous access setting under Site Settings, Go To Site Administration, Manage anonymous access.

Regards,
Thomas

Thank you. I looked around until I found it and found that the site I was concerned with was setup correctly. Many thanks though for your quick reply - it is much appreciated.

JBead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back