Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Addition/Subtration/Division etc between rows

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpienaar

Technical User
Jun 23, 2004
ZA
Hi
I am trying to figure out a way to perform basic operations between rows, which would be best demonstrated using an example:

Key Name P01BY P02BY P03BY
1 Volumes (Current Year) 10 20 30
2 Net Revenue (CurrentY) 10 20 30
3 % New Business Volume 0.5 0.2 0.5
4 New Business Volume 8 8 8
5 % Market Growth Volume 0.5 0.2 0.5

Here for instance I would need to say that for all three data columns the "New Business Volume" rows values need to be equal to "% New Business Volume" * "Volumes (Current Year)"
There are actually 12 columns of data, and the closest I can get is to write an SQL statement for each row that has nested select statements.
I know the most efficient solution would be to swop the columns and rows, but the rest of the database is stored in this format, and I guess I would probably have to pivot the data if I did this, and I don't wanna.
Anyone got some handy suggestions for keeping my SQL code neat and efficient.
There's a Mars bar going for most efficient solution (but not really...)
Thanks
John

The data's denormalized, which means that any attempt at "normal" SQL is doomed from the start. You probably have to bite the bullet and de-pivot it, or look into Analysis Services and warehouse this stuff.

Good luck.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Eschewing obfuscation diurnally.

> Here for instance I would need to say that for all three data columns the "New Business Volume" rows values need to be equal to "% New Business Volume" * "Volumes (Current Year)"
Code:
update T1
set P01BY = T2.P01BY * T3.P01BY, 
	 P02BY = T2.P02BY * T3.P02BY, 
	 P03BY = T2.P03BY * T3.P03BY
from myTable T1, myTable T2, myTable T3
where T1.Name = 'New Business Volume'
	and T2.Name = '% New Business Volume'
	and T3.Name = 'Volumes (Current Year)'
> I know the most efficient solution would be to swop the columns and rows, but the rest of the database is stored in this format, and I guess I would probably have to pivot the data if I did this, and I don't wanna.

Ouch... OK repeatable columns (I can [noevil] on that with great mental effort :X), but single column used for different purposes usually means mutual dependency between rows - and then whole SQL thing goes [flush2].

------
[small]select stuff(stuff(replicate('<P> <B> ', 14), 109, 0, '<.'), 112, 0, '/')[/small]
[banghead]

Thanks for the input- was hoping there was some way to do this easily, but I guess I'll try and normalise and write an update to the other tables.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back