Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic 2501 Config Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxx77

MIS
Mar 6, 2001
US

Ok, so I did a basic config by using setup. I configured
E0 and saved the config... When I look at the config again ( the one it shows you after you type setup) It shows the protocol as down but E0 as up. I cant ping anything. I have
the aui port connected to a Hub. I tried to set the gateway of last resort but it wouldnt take. What am I missing? I should be able to ping a computer on the same subnet as E0 connected to that hub after a basic setup shouldnt I?

I set keep alive to 0 and the protocol is UP but the only thing i can ping is e0, i cant even ping 127.0.0.1

what application are you running ? Did you do a no shut on the interface ? <--- Dumb
question , however it had to be asked !!! Does a sh arp give any info ? Did you set up any kind of ip routing ( rip, igrp,or eigrp ) ? [sig][/sig]

Im a beginner so no questions are stupid..
all i did was plug the thing into a hub and run Setup and configure E0 with an ip.. then i set keepalive to 0 so the protocol would come up... thats it.. and i cant ping anything but e0

There could be a number of different things wrong here . When you plug the E0 into your hub, did you see a link light come on ? What type of hub are you using ? ( 10/100 or a 100 mbps ). The ip address 127.0.0.1 is a loopback ip for diagnostics . Why are you using this ip rather than something like 10.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 ? Did you set up your pc's for the same subnet mask ? ( router E0 192.168.1.1 your first pc 192.168.1.2 the third 192.168.1.3 ect, ect ) ? Look at these questions and the ones I posted earlier and you should resolve the problem , Hopefully !!!! Good Luck !!! [sig][/sig]

e0 looks like this

interface Ethernet0
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
ip directed-broadcast
no keepalive
no cdp enable

The hub doesnt light up when I plug in the rj45 that is connected to the AUI to rj45 adapter. My hub is a linksys 10/100 autosensing. My PC is 192.168.1.1

Still cant ping my PC .. what am i missing?

A couple more points (dumb question, but possible) is there anything else plugged into the hub and is it on the same subnet as the address provided for your Ethernet0 on the 2501?

Second, check the adapter to make sure it's functioning. A lot of them have little dip-switches that can easily be toggled to throw them into a loop-back/testing mode. I've also run across lots of them that just plain stop working.

Good Luck!
[sig][/sig]

<<The hub doesnt light up when I plug in the rj45 that is connected to the AUI to rj45 adapter. My hub is a linksys 10/100 autosensing. My PC is 192.168.1.1>>>

I am guessing you need a cross cable ( twisted). Going from a hub to hub ( or router) requires the Tx/Rx pairs to be crossed. Many hub either have a port or a button that can do this for you if you do not have the cable.

Mike [sig][/sig]

Hmmm... well, first off, the router's Ethernet is pretyt much like a PC's - it uses a straigth-through patch cable to connect to a hub, not a X-over. What you might try, for the sake of testing, is getting a X-over cable and connecting the router directly to the PC. If you can ping, then the Hub's at fault. [sig][/sig]

I did not see this posted above . so I'll ask the question . Did you install the router to other ports on the hub ? ( A known good port ) did you setup default routes?,you MUST have a gateway setup to exit the interface to ping your PC [sig][/sig]

First thing I would do is turn keepalive back on. You won't get honest results from the router with it off. Second, to rule out any possible failure on the hub's part, invest 20 bucks or so in an RJ45 crimp tool and hoods. Take two pieces of cross-connect (wire) and a hood. Holding the hood with the nipple down and the open end toward you, pin 1 is on the far left pin 8 on the far right. Insert the first piece of wire with on end in pin 1 the other end in pin 3. Take the second piece of wire and put one end in pin 2 and the other end in pin 6. Crimp it. Now you have a very valuable tool called an ethernet loopback plug. Magic plug can make any working ethernet light come on. Plug it into a port on the hub that you know is good and make sure the light comes on so you know for sure that your plug works. Now...

Ensure that keep alive is back on. Do a sh int e0...line protocol should be down. Plug in the loopback...line protocol should be up. If line protocol is not up, replace your aui tranceiver. If it is, put you magic plug in the hub port you router was in. Do you get a link light? If no, you have a bad port on your hub. If it does light up, contact the manufacturer of the hub and the aui transceiver to see if there are any know conflicts between them.

You mentioned that you have an autosensing hub. There are many documented conflicts between ports and autosensing hubs and switches. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back