Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcodes for Enter & Control Keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PulsaMatt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
US
I dont know if this is possible but ...

We are using code 39 barcodes to scan work order numbers, our scanners are currently Symbol LS1908T handheld scanners.

Currently they scan the barcode into two different places in the shipping department. First, they scan it into the business system (AS/400 via Client Access) ... Second, they scan into UPS worldship which imports all of the shipping information and generates the shipping label.

However, when they scan into Client Access they need to press the "\" key ... and when they are in UPS they need to hit the "enter" key to make everything happen.

Is there a way to make a barcode for an "enter" key press? If I could do that I could just put the barcodes on the table near the PC they do all this on so they could scan the order number and then scan the "/" barcode ... then scan the order number again and then scan the "enter" barcode.

Or if anyone has a more elegant solution I'm all ears. I appreciate any help with this, im a barcode newbie :).

Matt Laski
Netadmin, Pulsafeeder Inc.

Oops in the title ... ignore the control key part ... brain freeze.

Matt Laski

You could just program the Scanner to add an Enter key to every barcode
This is in the manual
Page 4-116
Scan add a "Suffix" barcode

ON page 4-118
Scan "Enter" Barcode

I think that its

Otherwise you can call Symbol at 1.800.653.5350
Tell them you want to ad an "Enter" key after each barcode

DougP, MCP, A+

Problem is that Client Access (which emulates an IBM AS/400 dumb terminal) uses the "enter" key for a completely different function than what I need. That was why I was hoping to be able to create a barcode to handle that keystroke.

Matt Laski

Email me direct and I can send you one to try

dposton@barcodeone.com

DougP, MCP, A+

PulsaMatt,
with client access you need to "MAP" your keys..this is done by the MAP button on the toolbar..Enter is set to field exit by default in client access.

dvannoy,

Yes i know ... however, the people on the floor configured the keyboards to emulate a terminal (they are in no way computer literate at all).

In this case enter will actually be enter (for windows apps), and field exit in Client Access will be the "\" key.

Any change in their routine yeilds hours of complaints (literally) so I am trying to make this as painless as possible.

Matt Laski

So they need to scan the same barcode from a sheet into two different apps?
App 1 requires and Enter key after the barcode is scanned but app2 requires a Slash after the same barcode is scanned?

DougP, MCP, A+

I solved the problem ... I convinced them to remap their "field exit" key to be the enter key instead of "slash". They were not pleased at all until I showed them how much easier it was to batch print packing lists from our ERP system using the scanner now.

So all I had to do was configure the scanner to automatically add an enter to the end of every scan.

Matt Laski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back