Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

barcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakti

Programmer
Dec 7, 1999
ID
1. how can vfp read barcode ?<br>
2. I have been building file.exe, but it can't permanent on the screen, why ?

By using a barcode reader with a &quot;keyboard wedge&quot;, you can scan barcodes. VFP (or any other program) sees the barcode as coming from the keyboard. Some barcode readers also have a serial connection that you can use.<br>
<br>
You have to set up an event handler to keep the EXE running. I usually set up a prg called start.prg and it will contain variable definitions, opening the database, reading configuration files, etc. But the main thing it does is to have the following code:<br>
<br>
Public OkToRun<br>
OkToRun = .T.<br>
Do While OkToRun<br>
Read Events<br>
EndDo<br>
<br>
Then in the menu choice, button (or whatever the user clicks on to exit) I put the following code:<br>
<br>
OkToRun = .F.<br>
Clear Events<br>

Check out a company called TAL. They make a product called BC-Wedge. It's software for Windows that allows communication from the reader through a serial port directly into the keyboard buffer. I believe it is less clunky than the &quot;keyboard wedge&quot; approach (although that works okay). <br>
<br>
TAL has the &quot;keyboard wedge&quot; solution too. I just found the BC-Wedge cheap, easy to implement, and reliable.<br>
<br>
Good Luck!<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back