Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcode Setup in Library and Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

joxers25

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
US
I have a MSL6000 which has a barcode reader installed but is currently running as a blind library.

When i go into library and media config.
detect devices
I can see the library
In order to change the library from a blind to barcode i have to deconfigure the library and then right click the library choose properties and check the box 'barcode reader installed'

Then when I right click the library and choose configure it displays a message something like 'the current view is not uptodate press f5 to refresh screen. When i F5 it shows the library as configured (without me getting the option to configure. Then when I right click and properties the library it has the barcode reader installed greyed out and not checked! Any ideas?

Commvault 6.1 SP4
MSL6000 with 2*Ultrim2 drives

thasks

joxer

Is this a new library or have you used it before?...does the library actually show media in slots correctly through the library web console or on the front panel of the library?

If new then there may be something wrong with the barcode reader.

I'd check the library web console and front panel if problems then contact Dell (or whoever you got the lib from) after you have power cycled the library, if all is ok with the hardware then I would deconfigure and delete the library, do a redetect and see if it appears correctly..if not then contact your CV support

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

This is not a new library, has been running as blind for about a year - this is the way i inherited it.

However I don't want to continue double labeling tapes here, one with the blind tape id and our off-site label.

Our off-site storage can read the Tri-optic labels and these are the labels I want the Library to Use.

I attempted the suggestions above the hardware is working correctly. I have a Tri-optic labeled Tape in the library and the Library and Tape Tool shows this tape with the correct tri-optic label.

The problem definitely appears to be CommVaults. I carried out your suggestions above. De-configured, then deleted library. Closed the library and media console and reopened the library shows up in the list and appears that it and the library controller is already configured :(. The tape drives are not detected automatically but after a Detect and Configure I can set them up with no Issues.

Have logged a call with Commvault on this as I don't understand why the library automatically configures itself.

Will post results on here if successful.

Also any further suggestions welcome.

Joxer

Not sure, but it sounds like you may be using labels that have too many characters for commvault to understand thru the library.

Do you have extended labels configured on the ML60000? In our situation we have to enable extended barcodes in order for commvault to see them. To do this with the ML6000 go to setup partitions, modify the partition and then there should be a check box for extended barcodes. Not sure if this is it but may want to give it a shot.

Got this resolved by Commvault support - they took a copy of all logs and er-data then discovered that there was a tape with some inconsistently aged data. They sent me a script to prune the job and volia!

Deconfig library, enable barcodes, config library!!

All good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back