Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcode Scanner does not scan some characters correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBS

Technical User
Dec 4, 2012
US
Hello,

We have a number of Symbol/Motorola LS4208 Barcode Scanners that we use. There is one scanner that does not scan the dash "-" or the slash "/" characters correctly. It scans a slash "/" as a dash "-" and it scans a dash "-" as a comma ",". Another same model scanner scans the same barcode labels without a problem so I know that it has to do with this particular scanner.

Our barcodes are in Code 39 with a USB connection. I have used the Symbol LS4208 Quick Reference Guide and set all the parameters to their default values. I am able to program it to tab after each scan, which I did with the other scanners we have. I programmed it for USB Host Type of HID Keyboard Emulation because the Hand-held option would not work. I also scanned the "ENABLE CONVERT TO CODE 39 FOR WAND HOST" because we use Code 39. None of these made a difference.

Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Jan

My first question would be - Has this particular barcode scanner EVER scanned the characters correctly?

If not, then I'd contact the vendor to see about getting it exchanged for a working one. Maybe there is some HW defect in that particular unit.

If it has worked in the past, then I'd ask - What has been changed?

Typically when things used to work and now no longer work, it is that which was changed that has introduced the problem.

Finally I'd contact the vendor to see if their support department has an answer. Hopefully you purchased the unit from a vendor with a good support department.

While I am not in any way affiliated with them, I have generally used ( whose support has been A++ for me in the past.

Finally, if this is a Business Critical piece of your over-all operations, then the most expedient means of getting operations working again would be to purchase a new unit now and then diagnose/resolve the issue with the bad unit.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thank you for your reply. I was just notified that the issue seems to have cleared up. I have no idea How or When it got corrected. The gremlins must have done it. [bigears]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back