Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

barcode scanner data to be input into a PHP driven website

Status
Not open for further replies.

webslinga

Programmer
Jun 20, 2006
US
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone knew which direction I might head for this one...
I have a barcode scanner that I wrote a C++ program for that returns all the barcodes that it has stored. I wrote the bit for this already.
Now, I need to be able to upload this barcode that has been read into the scanner to a HTML based form online. I can write the PHP code for the form once I receive that barcode to put it in my database system.
It is the mechanism in between the scanner and the web form that I am puzzled about. What is a really good way to do this? I am just looking for some top-level answers here. Thank you.

Your scanner stores multiple scans internally and you can fetch these scans using your C++ program?

You might have your C++ code write the scans to a file then upload the file via an HTML form.

You might have your C++ code use network sockets to interact with your PHP script directly, either feeding the scans one at a time or all at once as a delimited list.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

When you scan a barcode, you're really just getting a set of characters - in fact, most barcode scanners act as a keyboard. So you could just put the focus on the field that you are trying to fill and scan the barcode.

As an added note: to create your own barcode, try downloading the Font "Free 3 of 9" and write every barcode with * at the start and end

*123456*

Hope that gives you some insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back