Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcode reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

earnoldmi

Programmer
Sep 21, 2000
US
Does anyone have experience with a barcode reader? I am wondering first of all, what kind of hardware is necessary, then how to write and read to it. Someone told me the MSComm is what I'll need. Also looking for any examples of code that show how to use it.
Thanks.
Eve

I guess it depends on what kind of barcode reader you get. I purchased one a handheld CCD type(not using a laser, alot cheaper than the laser but the distance that it reads the barcode is a lot less only about 1.2") manufactured by WASP. It was a keyboard wedge (both the barcode reader and keyboard plugged into keyboard socket by use of a Y connector). It does not need any programing as it simulates typing of the keyboard. Also it was configureable to either send a TAB (windows programing) or the ENTER (dos programing) at the end of the string of numbers. Hope this clears some things up.

David Paulson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back