Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcode inventory/asset system

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWetzel

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2006
US
I'm looking for a system for keeping track of around 250 computers and monitors using a barcode system. We allready use a Microsoft Access database for our inventory, but want to be able to put barcodes on the computers so we can keep track of where they are and to make inventory management easy. Right now we have looked at the skandata system and the kwikasset program. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Maybe just a scanner and label printing program we could integrate with the Access database we allready have?

Geeze, yes, heck, if you already have an asset database in access, why not merely enhance it to do what you need it to do, to print bar coded labels (very easy to do) etc etc.

Alternatively, you can just purchase pre-printed bar-coded asset tracking labels or tags and focus on the data collection and integrating that to your database.

Of course, the only advantage you have using bar code asset tracking as opposed to labeling the assets with a label with a number on and inputting the info manually is the collection of the asset number using a scanner (naturally you will probably need to input the assets location or other attributes, maybe even the software and version installed in case of a PC). You could do this with a laptop with scanner attached scanning directly into your Access database tracking system or by using a portable scanning data collection device and uploading the data to your database as necessary.

Alternatively, you could use something like a symbol SPT PDA with scanner and with a simple program written for it do all your asset data collection.

In any event, since you already have an asset database in access, your more than half way there and need only to address the labels and data collection techniques.

If you do it yourself, you will have complete control over how it works including ongoing enhancements which in my opinion is always better than off the shelf software unless your not equipped to do any development work or have simple requirements that won't change much down the road.

While I realize this is a little late, I want to second James529's suggestion of simply integrating the bar codes with your existing database. This is minimal work, and much easier than switching inventory systems, using two separate inventory systems, or trying to integrate two different inventory systems.

You do not even necessarily need to include bar code printing capability into your database. There are several off-the-shelf bar code printing applications that can read the data from your database tables. It's a little more money, but less effort recreating the wheel. (I happen to like a program called BarTender, but there are several options available.)

I tried to get assets and Symbol barcoder working with out any luck, I mean reading. Back in the DOS day I could get Advancerev. to print file cover with bar codes, so windows should be able to print labels?

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back