Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcode Formatting UCC /EAN 128

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket2000

Technical User
Jan 31, 2011
IE
Hi,

I apologise for double posting this on Microsoft Access: Other Topics but in desperate need of assistance.

I am trying to encode the following (00) 1 0123456 361586002 into a UCC /EAN 128 barcode label in my Report
The record source is from table called Delivery and uses the following three fields ( A1Code, GSI and PalletNo )

I have tried following examples below in the control source of the ActiveX Barcode and inputting the FNC1 character using the ASCII 202 character "Ê" at various position but still to no avail.

="00" & [A1Code] & [GSI] & "Ê" & [PalletNo]

="00" & [A1Code] & "Ê" & [GSI] & [PalletNo]

I have even tried removing the FNC1 character and inputting the following below in the control source but the barcode scanner is showing an error “invalid check digit”.

="00" & [A1Code] & [GSI] & [PalletNo]

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

There appear to be 2 issues here.

1. How to use your specific programming language to generate Good text strings that will work with your Barcode ActiveX routine.
2. How to incorporate the specific ASCII 202 character "Ê" into that good text string.

Since I do not know what other characters might be present within the data table fields, I cannot assist you much further here.
I would generally try to create a very simple text string with no special ASCII characters in it and confirm that your Barcode ActiveX routine can generate Good barcodes with it.
That will confirm your general programming approach.

Next comes the issue of the special character(s) like "Ê"
First - for reference: the barcode symbology you are attempting to use is now called: GS1-128 (formerly known as UCC/EAN-128) is a subset of Code 128

I do not find any references within various GS1-128 barcode specifications to show that specific ASCII character is supported. GS1-128 only supports a limited range of Extended ASCII characters.
References like:

However the following page ( ) does reference that character among its Creating GS1-128 Compliant Barcodes
Where it says: Example: to encode (8100)712345(21)12345678 with the ASCII Method, Ê8100712345Ê2112345678 or Ö8100712345Ô2112345678 would be used.
You might want to read over that reference.

Here is another web reference specifically mentioning the character "Ê" that appears to be worth looking at:
Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Each symbol pattern in a Code 128 bar-code has an associated Symbol Character Value (SCV) in the range 0106; the FNC1 character is represented by SCV 102.

The use of "Ê" (the Unicode character with decimal code 202, or hexadecimal 0xCA) to represent this character is specific to the font targetted by the bar-code generation software supplied by IdAutomation (and possibly mirrored by other suppliers).
But it is not part of the generic bar-code specification; other bar-code solutions using fonts (rather than graphic drawing mechanisms) as the final stage may use different mappings.

Hi All,

Thank you for your input all, I figured the “invalid check digit” error was due to not accounting for the check digit on this type of barcode:
UCC /EAN 128 barcode (00) 1 0123456 361586002

I have since coded for this check digit in a module and calling it as a function in my query and adding it to the control source of the barcode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back