Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcode Data Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibblet

Technical User
Jul 14, 2005
GB
I work for a small maufacturing company.

We have 3 computers on our shop floor, these are used keeping track of jobs and stock using our company databases.

It is hoped that we will soon start to use Barcodes to track jobs and stock.

We have a barcode entry system up and running but atthe moment mouse clicks are required to get to the right form and get focuso nthe right place before you can start reading things.

Since we only have 3 computer we can't assign one to purely take barcode readings as they are required for other uses.

Does anyone have any idea on how I might get around this problem?

Entering barcode information is the same as typing it on a keyboard so I had though about using an 'OnKeyPress' function but wanted to get other people's views?

Thanks

EliotF

Set your scanner to send a Tab keypress and use the lost focus event. That's the way I do it.

This has been discussed in more detail previously. Use Search to find the other threads.

MichaelRed

If it has been disucssed previously could you send me the thread for it please?

I've had a look round and I cna't find anything!

I can find plenty of problems for people with barcode readers but none for actually using the barcoede readers.

I've decided what I really need to be able to do is to be able to call up a form from anywhere in a database, using a single key press, whether it be enter, tab or a number.

The problem I've found with lost focus is that when you use a particular button and come back to the form the control that I use doesn't always have focus.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back