Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bar Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustylee

Programmer
Sep 11, 2001
US
We'd like to begin implementing the Bar Code module for Macola 7.6. I have questions about receiving. What exactly can bar code do for me for receiving? Suppose vendors don't use bar codes. Does this mean there is no advantage to using the bar code module? Or suppose we print our own based on PO number. However, when items are received, the invoice has dozens of POs referencing particular line items. How can bar code be beneficial in this scenario? Do companies insist their vendors bar code everything?

Thanks in advance.

Rusty,

Please call me regarding this if you don't mind.

Don Gilsdorf
Triangle Partners Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
714-348-0964
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

There are a number of different barcode standards. Go to and click the "New to barcoding" link and you will get to a page that shows you more links to everything anybody wanted to know about barcoding.

Most companies insist their vendors barcode everything with the type of barcode that is correct for their industry, but I also have customers who do a lot of international business who are unable to get their overseas vendors to comply. The alternative is to set up your own internal strategy for barcoding and storing raw materials and print a label and smack em on the product as they arrive.

Macola's stuff works like this: Barcode scanning devices transmit an ASCII record every time you scan something. Usually you have some type of program to collect the scans into an ASCII file. Macola doesn't supply this part of it. Macola's barcode module is designed to read these Ascii files and adjust your inventories according to the scan records found in the file.

Thanks

Kirk
kirkvining@hotmail.com
I do a great deal of programming and implementation in this area. If you are interested in any of my services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back