Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth / Windows XP question 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylebellamy

Programmer
Jan 24, 2002
US
Couldn't think of a better title for it. lol

When saving a file from one server to another using IE, does the file get routed through the computer to the other server?

For example, I am in a browser based file exchange area (TeamShare)and want to save a file uploaded there to our document server. Does this use bandwidth to go to my computer first then to the document server?

Another example would be: If I have two networked drives opened on my desktop and I drag a file from one to the other, is the file directly transferred or is it routed through my computer?

Thanks for any help!

Consider that these are all "local" to your pc, so your pc has to work with them. That the data is on physically removed drives does not change that they are being accessed by the local pc.

If you are in "the office" and one file is in "the factory" and you want to copy it to the "distribution center" it will pass thru your pc in the office. . .

That is my understanding as well. Unless something changed in Windows Vista or Windows 7, initiating a file transfer from a third-party device will slow things down. On a local network at the same site, you may or may not notice the difference. You would be better off remoting into one of the servers to start the transfer, if you have the rights to do so.

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

was going to answer the question but got destracted by your flikr page.... great photography/photoshopping.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Thanks all for confirming what I suspected. It only made sense but I had to be certain before trying to act all knowledgeable in fromt of my co-workers. lol

Thanks aich69 for the compliment! I eat, sleep and breathe Photoshop amongst other things but art photography is my favorite. Mainly because I tried painting and drawing and failed miserably at that. lol

Well it's inspired me to get my D-SLR out and start using it properly, thank you [smile]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back