Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bandwidth restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebStar

Programmer
May 1, 2002
DE
HI,
I have an internet caffe and I have a restriced line of 3GB/month. I would like to know how to configure the server so the users to be unnable to download files bigger than 2-3 MB. If it is possible it is based on IP addresses? Can I drop the restriction for the administrator's comp. but be active for the other comps?
Thank you!

To my knowledge, you cannot restrict on a per-file basis in something like FTP traffic within a firewall-type device. You CAN set such restrictions in email and ftp products themselves as part of file size and quota restrictions.

You probably can setup a total bandwidth usable per cafe' session - you'll need to do the math yourself as to how much usage is acceptable per user per hour. But, this is on total bandwidth used by all services, irrespective of the method of transfer (file, email, web browsing)

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back