Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth Reservation on a P2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhowey

MIS
Mar 4, 2012
US
So I have a P2P connection @100Mb and I am looking to reserve 20Mb for a backup internet connection while reserving the rest of the bandwidth for internal applications. On one end of the connection is a Cisco 3560 switch and the other is a Cisco 3945 router. Any guidance or a push in the right direction would be appreciated..

If you want fine granular control then put a router (or a Metro switch) on the circuit instead of connecting the switch directly to the WAN circuit. The 3560 (and 3750) don't support egress QoS service policies so although you can queue traffic out based on DiffServ markings you don't have the fine granular controls you have with a 'real' router. I think the Metro switches have uplinks that are capable of egress service-policies but I seem to remember these are 1Gbps only ports so might not be possible? I'd need to have a read on CCO as new products appear frequently... I think there may be uplink modules for the 3750X/3560X series that offer this kind of support as well?
However put a real router between the switch and the circuit and you can write an egress service policy that does exactly what you want to do. You will need to identify the specific traffic (with ACLs or by DiffServ markings) and then put them into relevent queues that restrict/guarantee bandwidth.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back