Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donachie

Technical User
Jan 31, 2005
GB
I am running a PIX on a network that I am migrating all kit to. We do not have any network monitoring tools running here - (not my choice , its the way I picked it up.)

I want to get something to monitor utilization on the PIX as I migrate stuff over to make sure we are not creating a bottleneck. Any suggestions? As this will be an interim solution I am ideally looking for freeware or ver y cheap.

Thanks.

hello,

the latest version of mrtg is cacti... is quit easy to install and to maintain..you can do all the stuff in the webbrowser...

an other tool might be snmpc....then the pix can send snmp-traps to the system. there you can make some scripts..for example: if snmp-message x arrives, please send an email... :) we are monitoring the pix-clusters in this way...

with this tool you can monitor the interfaces of the pix. the cpu-usage did not work (with my installtion).

martin

----------------------------------
Martin Peinsipp, Austria
CCSA,
IT-Security-Administrator

@Donachie,

If you want to monitor the bandwith of your PIX, you already noticed that MRTG is the (freeware) way to go.

When you have to add or remove devices (interfaces) very often in your monitoring mechanism (MRTG) than Cacti is your thing.
But if you have a fixed set of devices (Interfaces) and changes happen not very often I recommend the MRTG distribution from the guys at Open Innovations.

It contains all the app's and scripts and settings and tools you need to setup monitoring your PIX, and other Interfaces, on a Windows machine.
It installs and works like a charm (with a little bit of RTFM), and is has a nice web interface with very neat options.
And all this is built with freeware stuff !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back