Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheel

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
We having lot of Bandwidth(WAN) issues and our Frame relay provider thinks may be Citrix(XP) playing vital role for these problems. We implemented citrix to take care bandwidth on WAN network but has turned to be worse.
Does any have similar problems??? Is there something I could do Tweaking Citrix??? Any advise, info would be appreciated.

First of all, how much bandwidth do you actually have? Do you have your ICA clients set for WAN rather than LAN? Have you used either the Resource Manager or the Systrack tool to determine what apps are doing what to the bandwidth and or CPU. You can also restrict the amount of bandwidth video and print functions can consume.

Good luck.

We had exactly the same issue. Found multiple causes:
1. Printing was hogging bandwidth. I set all my servers to 5k bandwidth for printing.
2. Frame circuits were mostly 56k. Had to replace adtrans & order new lines to get them up to 256k.
3. Network was 10 yrs old. Routers were Micom. Network boards in Micoms have a built-in bandwidth limit of 128k. Moved Micoms to landfill, installed Ciscos.

Thanks for response.
Iffy, We have micom 20k routers too but in a month r so we are upgrading our routers to cisco. Upgrade in routers did you guys notice improvements in WAN perfomance????
Branches speed are 56k & 128k, 384K..

Definitely check on the printing side - if your remote sites do a lot of printing, then you will want to throttle the printing on the Citrix servers. Also consider using some form of third party printing system such as uniprint (you can get a 30 day eval copy from
You can also tweak settings (make sure that sound is disabled, drop number of colours/resolution, cache bitmaps, etc), but frankly the first thing I'd check would be printing.......

P.S. Personal experience the Micoms were good for their day, but newer kit such as that from Cisco is definitely better. Access via your 56k frame link is probably always going to be fairly ordinary, though, unless you can burst higher than that.....

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back