Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth for remote office using VSAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I currently take care of a small corporate lan. My client now wishes to setup a remote office on another continent. We are located in Canada. The remote office will located in Africa. We will be using a VSAT to enable communication between the two offices. My client wants to know what he would need to get everything up. We currently have two servers (one for accounting and one for file which will eventually house emails). We will be adding a Citrix Server. All this is behind a Pix 501. Now the remote administration office will have 4 employees (for now) with pcs and have 2 to 4 VOIP lines. Each workstation will connect to the Citrix server through Citrix ICA clients. How much bandwidth does each connection take about, is 10k a conservative estimate ? I need to plan ahead as they add more users. Now, this remote office will probably also use it's VSAT to connect to another remote location in Africa (near a mine). Would a 64Kbps connection be enough ? Oh, the users in Africa will also be protected behind another Pix 501. There won't be any VPN tunnels... Would Citrix's own encryption be enough... Maybe the remote office will also have it's own mailserver... The company that will install the VSAT will also put in a Cisco 1721 router. Does this look like a solid setup ?

anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back