Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bandwidth for IP cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

siki85

Technical User
Mar 17, 2009
PA
Hi folks,

I´ve been looking for information to calculate the necessary bandwidth for IP cameras.

I´m using an Axis tool for this operation, I want to be sure that this information is correct.

The settings would be following:
- Axis model M1011
- Compression: 30 VGA
- FPS: 10
- Recording mode: Motion detection

We would install 1 camera for each branch, and there is 9 branches so would be 9 cameras. This branches are connected through a private link with the same carrier.

Please, any advice would be helpful...

Camera video uses a lot more data than Word documents or voice data. One picture can contain 30 Kbytes to over 140 Kbytes (for high resolution pictures) and we usually want to transfer many pictures per second. I am not familiar with the brand you mentioned above, but here is how I usually caculate it:

Resolution
Frame Size Bytes

352 x 240 10 KB
700 x 480 30 KB
1024 x 768 60 KB
1280 x 1024 80 KB
1600 x 1200 140 KB

Times the numbers above by FPS....that is a quick and easy way to measure the bandwidth. If you double the frames than you double the Bytes...etc...

"Voice and Data Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back