Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bandwidth consumption problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemax72

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
PK
Hi guys,
I have got a big problem. My server is under a DDoS attack. The problem is Bandwidth consumption. I am getting useless traffic which is consuming my bandwidth and the HTTP requests are valid. I am using a CISCO Core Router whose model is 7513. The bandwidth capacity which i am recieving is 155 MBPs i.e. T1. My firewall is of PIX. Please help me.

Blue Max

What do you mean by T1 will be flooded regardless of my filtering if it's a real DDOS.

BLUE MAX

If it's a real DDOS, the data will flow down your T1 and then get dropped by your router (bandwidth already used). While this protects your server's CPU, it doesn't protect the t1 bandwidth. If this is the case, you need to work with your ISP to help block it at their end to block it before sending it down your t1.

HI.

Regarding "baddos" post:
> If it's a real DDOS, the data will flow down your T1
It is related to the specific kind of attack, and direction of traffic.
If the bandwidth consumption is for return traffic from your server, then blocking or limitting it can help.

I also suggest involving the ISP in the topic, it can only help and of course blocking the attack at their devices is a good idea if possible.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back