Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Video Driver- Quick response appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPLWU

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
US
I have a client that tried to install a new background/wallpaper on their desktop, when they tried to save the picture to the desktop, the resolution was horrible. So they tried to customize the desktop, and chage the size of the picture. After doing so they got the prompt that said the screen may flicker for a few seconds. When the screen went black it never came back to the Windows desktop. Just a black screen with the cursor in the upper left hand corner. I have uninstalled reinstalled video driver, (booted to safe mode), changed background/wallpaper in safe mode, with no luck. I dont want to restore registry to previous date, because it wasnt backed up since Dec. 04. Any ideas on why this happened and how to get the display back up and running? The background that was set was an emailed picture (virus free). I am guessing a .jpg, and the system is a Win98, with an ATI 264-VT4 display adapter.

If you think you can, you might...if you know you can then you will.

A+

Check to make sure the refresh rate of the monitor hasn't changed.

Also set the monitor to its lowest resolution. Maybe 640x480.

In safe mode.

Then reboot and bring up the resolution from there if required.

Sounds like an unsupported resolution by the video card.

refresh rate hasn't changed, safe mode automatically selected 640X480 in safe mode, on reboot it still goes back to the black screen. WOuld this be something to do with Active Desktop, or an over written file?

A+

The message about the screen flashing etc is when you change the resolution. If they didn't select yes then it would have gone back to the previous res. You need to get the resolution back to a proper setting.

I agree with you both on that one, it has the 15 second count down when you select that. The question is now, if they did not select yes, and it did not accept the new changes, is there any way to revert it back to the previous settings. The bad thing about this is, i am able to get the resolution to accept the settings in safe mode, but when it tried to boot normally, back to the black screen. I am loking for a work around, booting into safe mode and then rebooting theoretically should have fixed this, thats why i am wondering if there is a corrupted file?

A+

If you have a graphic card than try to unplug it and plug it back in

Not real sure what you are referring to AMD, i dont think it is am issue with the video card. Are you saying replace the video card with another?
2 reasons I cant do that.
1) User in MD I am in VA
2) In an office environment, and not able to be opened.

A+

Have you changed the desktop settings to have no background and no theme?

yes :(

A+

Combination of 2 things, Active Desktop was enabled, and the refresh rate was set to unknown, set that back to default, and cleared the active desktop.....thank you all.

A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back