Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Request Invalid Hostname

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenvdb

Programmer
Jun 21, 2002
GB
Is there the faintest glimmer of light for IIS6?
I designed a website on WinXP. Everything worked just fine and then I bought Win 2003 Server Standard.
I tried to get the website going but it would not.

The New Server was suppose to serve as a webserver, but I wanted a domain set up at home where the server would stand. So after many hours of fruitless struggle I learned Win2K3 server IS NOT MEANT to act BOTH as a DC and a Webserver at the same time. Either one or the other.
So now I removed the DC component and IIS6 still will not run my website. I get the message Bad Request(Invalid Hostname). In the Advanced Button where you I am supposed to set up Host Header Names and Values, I set up the requested Host Haeder Name. It still will not run. Is this just me with a constant run of bad luck or is this Microsoft technologies at its best shwing how bad it is?

How do I kill this problem. The Event Error Log throws out Error No 400 and that is it. Heavens know why I put myself through such utter nonsence.

If anyone has a magic wand for me I will appreciate a wave in my direction...

Len

Quiet as a bulldozer Mate!

Hello all

So I managed to get someting to kick and come alive in Win2k3 and IIS6.

First I removed the Application server role. Now what they DONT tell you is that you should reboot. Then reinstall Application Server, then reboot the server again.

This time I got a default Web site which I could put to some good use and the website came alive. No the problem is to make it visible to the outside world. My firewall that is built in to Windows blocks the visitors out.

How do I get past that? Any Ideas?

Len

allow traffic on port 80 through the firewall.

I have no idea how to do this on 2003 simply because when I set up 2003 as a webserver it caused so much disruption to the rest of the network, when it decided that it had to be in control of the entire network, and then after running for about 2 hours promptly shut down all communications to everything else. It didn't survive long after that!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks Chris
I did not know you CAN configure the Firewall in Win2K3. All I see is a checkbox which indicates a Yeah and a Nay.

So I will have to figure out where and how to set up the Firewall to allow traffic to Port 80 to pass through.

Also let me mention that the Default Website in IIS simply pointed to the folder inside InetPub.
I had to set the path to the folder inside InetPub holding my Website and then it lit up like a Christmas tree.

:)

Len

I found the fix for my experience with the problem. My system is 2003 Server running all roles including routing. I'm specifically calling out the routing because it turned out to be an issue with the mappings in NATs basic firewall. I had my external ip allowing port 80 and mapping to an internal ip. No thinking again about this I had my additional IIS site configured with host headers for the public IP. NAT alters the request to have an internal IP hence the bad host name/mapping error message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back