Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad RAM & corrupt files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyfu

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
US
Does anyone know if bad memory could corrupt files that you download off the internet. These are rar and zip files that I download. Before installing the new memory I never really had this problem of downloading corrupted zip files. Then once I upgraded the memory I've been getting corrupted files constantly after downloading them. Is there a correlation between BAD RAM and corrupted files?

Most likely a hard drive issue. Files (or parts of files to put it simply) are temporarily stored in RAM when executed. This wouldn't corrupt anything, but faulty memory could be causing other problems that might seem related. Run scandisk as a quick test to see if there are any bad sectors or lost clusters.

Another quick test is to reinstall the old memory in place of the new and see if any of the problems go away.

Can you give some specific examples?

It could be a virus, I had a problem a few weeks ago with one. The virus I had wrote itself into every .exe file on my harddrive. However, I never noticed until a month after receiving the virus, because all my programs worked, I could still do everything with the computer - everything except open self-extracting archives created with WinZip. For some reason the way the virus wrote itself into the .exe files, it only corrupted WinZip archives.

Solution - go to and download their free dos software package. Boot from a floppy and run the virus software and disinfect all files. You must boot from a clean floppy to get rid of viruses like this (assuming you've got one), because if you run a virus scan program from within Windows, as you're disinfecting files, the virus is still running in memory infecting new files, voiding any and all effects of your virus scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back