Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad practice .... or great switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNick0483

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2008
US
I installed a Cisco 4510R switch into our datacenter a little over 4 years ago. As you can see by the picture I have attached, the switch has never been powered cycled since its install. The only thing that has been done to the switch every now and again I’ll swap SUP engines, but that has not even happened in well over a year. The switch is a core switch that handles data, voice, video and wireless and I might add does it very well.

I work with the philosophy if it’s not broke don’t fix it, and rebooting a device is never a fix for an issue that comes up.
I guess my question is since the switch has not had any issues in 4 plus years would it be beneficial to power cycle it at sometime, or just leave it be? Cisco told me I should power cycle the switch even though I am not having issues at least once every 6 to 8 months.

Leave it alone if you are not having a issue. If you have a maintenance window it certainly wont hurt anything if you feel it must be done. Have never of cisco telling anyone to reboot unless you are running into some memory bug which will free up memeory.

If it's 4 years running it probably needs an IOS upgrade (unless you have redudnant sups), but other than that there is no reason to reboot it.

I have replaced switches and found that they had been up-and-running for over 4 years without any interruption.

If it's been up that long without a problem, there's no need to fiddle with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back