Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolboy89

MIS
Mar 14, 2001
GB
Im writing a paper on various Backup software, and I need comments from users in the field on TSM.
Can you give me good points and Bad points for TSM
thanks
Please help....:)

For my company, TSM has been great. We have a UNIX/Linux, Novell, NT and NT w/ exchange environment with over 100 clients at our Corporate office. We replaced Legato NetWorker with TSM at our Corporate office last year. We had two Legato Servers, but now just one TSM server. The main difference so far has been reliability and shorter backup window (w/ Legato it took two days with two Legato Servers to do a full backup on all of the clients, where as TSM does incremental forever so we do not need to do anymore full backups). As for reliability, TSM has successfully backed up all of our UNIX/Linux and Novell clients for over a year now every night. It has also successfully backed up our NT boxes as well when they are functioning (periodically the NT boxes need to be rebooted.. not related to TSM).

The only problems with TSM is this product is no cookie cutter. You have to know how to set it up which takes a lot of reading and experimenting with. Once you understand TSM and setting it up for your environment, you are extemely confident in your backups.

- David Johnson

Backups yes restores no. We have tried to restore a few large server databases and they took days to recover with Microsoft and IBM\Tivoli on the phone.

We have both NetWorker and TSM. Compared to NetWorker, TSM is very poor at giving any information as to what is actually happening at the tape drive end of the business. NetWorker on the other hand gives good information in real-time about tape write rates and tape movements, which I find to be a good diagnostic tool. If anyone has found a way of getting more (any?) information out of TSM as to whether tapes are actually being written to, I'd love to hear from them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back