Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad mouse port or bad OS? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungmc

Technical User
Oct 19, 2000
US
Symptoms: Upon booting up the computer (OS is Win 2k) my mouse is totally unresponsive. However, when I unplug the mouse and plug it back in (while the pc is still on, mind you) it works again!

Now here is my confusion. This machine, a HP Pavilion 6630, used to have Windows 98SE and the mouse worked at that time. When I tried to upgrade it to Win 2k is when things started going south. DOes it make sense that a new OS would somehow cause the mouse to malfunction? Or have I somehow shorted out the mouse port on the main board?

Any ideas folks?

Thanks!

Try installing the latest mouse drivers for your device.
Is it a ps2 or a usb mouse?

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

It's a ps2 mouse. I took an image of the 98SE OS using Ghost before I upgraded it (whew!) and wouldn't you know it, the mouse works fine after I installed the image. This makes me believe it's a mouse driver issue, but Mouse drivers are so generic, I don't even know where I would find one!

You can find one on the web. Try logitech's web site, and download the latest version of mouseware. That should do the trick.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Go to HP's site to get your drivers. HPs are particular on their drivers.

AH HA! I figured out the solution, albeit not the exact problem. I flashed the BIOS to the latest version, and 'voila!' - the mouse is active in Win 2K. Go figure....

thanks for the help!

-Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back