Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Message Causes Dr. Watson in Store.exe 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alshrim

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2002
CA
Here is an error that i've gotten the last two nights - and that i have been researching all day - and figured i'd share it in the hopes that I can get some feedback.

SYMPTOMS: For the last two days I've woken up to a phone call of one of my developers telling me that the exchange server is down. Both times, the Exchange server is kicking up a Doctor Watson stating this:

**"An error was returned from the messaging software the Internet Mail Service uses to process messages on the Microsoft Exchange Server. It is possible that the piece of mail being processed at the time will be returned to the sender as a failed delivery instead of being delivered. The message will be moved to the "BAD" folder, if possible, and the error is not a temporary error. Otherwise it will be retried when the service is restarted. Use the appropriate utilities found in the SUPPORT directory of your Exchange CD to view and manipulate messages that have been moved to the "BAD" folder

Event ID: 3039
Source: MSExchangeIMC

The error 0x80040115 was encountered while trying to communicate with the message store. An attempt to refresh the connection will be made. If not successful, the service will be shut down.

Data (Words) 0000: 00140667 80040115 "**

Now - i have been researching this error and it seems it is a documented error since Exchange 4.0. Or at least the error has been popping up from time to time.

In 5.5, the error popped it's head after install SP3 where, the error was caused by - and I quote:

""This occurs when a bad message is trying to be delivered from the Imcdata\In queue to the information store.""

This issue was addressed in Service pack 3.

This is not my problem. Becuase I searched inside the IMCDATA\in folder - and there was nothing so recent as November - and I could read everything within it - and there didn't seem to anything out of the ordinary.

However, the second issue where this error pops up in when the CHARSET="" in a header - and its symptoms seem far more likely. The details can be read here:

the fix, however, suggests that i install SP4 - or a patch which would bring my STORE.EXE up to build: 5.5.2653.22 -- My build is already at 5.5.2653.23 - and so - i still have the symptom - with all recommended fixes in place!

Has anyone else come across this?

What i've done so far:

I turned Out Of Office replies off going out to the Internet. I was finding my queue on the IMS getting clogged with lots of CRAP! At one point it was a request from the execs to turn it on - but i put my foot down today and turned it off. SO far, my event viewer has remained nice a clean...

I'd love some insight here.

Cheers,

Al

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

In Event viewer - i get this kind of message too :

An error was returned from the messaging software the Internet Mail Service uses to process messages on the Microsoft Exchange Server. As a result, the message in spool file W6RD7T0T will be retried when the server is restarted.

and then i get a slew of message stating that the IMS and Store.exe services will be shutdown.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

and then this - just before it cacks.

The application, exe\store.dbg, generated an application error The error occurred on 11/15/2003 @ 16:16: 7.993 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0042466b (<nosymbols>)

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Then this:
The error 0x80040115 was encountered while trying to communicate with the message store. An attempt to refresh the connection will be made. If not successful, the service will be shut down.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Al -
Are any of your clients running Outlook 2003? We recently went through an issue with the Exchange 5.5 Information Store crashing due to a problem with rules. See Q829418 for more information. There's a hotfix out for this which we applied immediately and solved the problem.

Mark

Actually - yes - we have some developers running the 2003, as well as me.

Hmm.. this could very well be it...

Thanks! I'll look into this further.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Hi Mark,

Can I have the patch e-mailed to me? It might be handy in the future.

I can be contacted at:

myswissbank@yahoo.com

thanks in advance.

-nitrous0rangez-

And so far -- everything has remained up!!

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Yip - for a week now.. all seems fixed !! this solved my problem.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back