Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BAD MEDIA / CYCLIC REDUNDNCY

Status
Not open for further replies.

whyme1

MIS
Jan 16, 2001
US
I have had a number of problems with Backup Exec in the two years I have used it. The most common error I get is (bad media error) I also get (cyclic rudunancy errors).In the event veiwer it will say that the drive (has a bad block)
WHAT IS A BAD BLOCK!!!!????

My servers are WINNT 4.0 SP 5, Backup Exec is 7.0, and my tape drive is a Sony SDT 7000. I am getting ready to replace the drive with a new Onstream 50G drive and upgrade to Backup Exec 8.0. My problem is now I need to get a good backup before I switch out everything, but I can't because the backups fail. It's a viciuos circle.

If anyone can give me a suggestion I would appreciate it.

Hi im getting the same problem and the veritas solutions arent helping. Ive got a hp 24x6e surestore dds3 drive.....
event in event viewer says hpdat . tape0 has bad block. any help? :(

FYI... CRC's, bad blocks, etc.. The majority of these errors that are being reported are by the hardware back to the software. These CODES that are sent back are for some reason. The majority of these errors are HARDWARE. Media can also place a huge importance on the problems. Media should be replaced on a regular basis. Tapes can fail for numerous reasons.

I had the same error 4 different days with different tapes. One of the errors pointed to cleaning the tape drive. Since then I have been cleaning the tape drive every other day I have not received any more of these errors.

I am having the same problem with Backup Exec 7.0. After I do a back up it comes back with the error bad block or bad media. I replaced all the tapes with new ones. I have cleaned the tape heads twice. I still receive the same error. The tape drive was replaced last July. Can anyone help me with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back