Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bad MB or Video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnthephoneguy

Technical User
Jan 17, 2005
US
I have an ASUS P5B MB, with an NVidea 7950GX2 video card. About a week ago the system would freak out and not respond after shutting down an application. I thought this might be a windows issue at the time, so I wiped the drives and reinstalled XP Pro.

After reinstalling, it would not recognize the video card and still shut itself down. I have an older ATI card that I put in for troubleshooting. now the system does not freeze up like it did before, but it won't let me install drivers for the video card or the soundblaster card. Both driver installs say something like "can't find the card installed".

So now I think it is the MB that is bad because it doesnt allow software to recognize the installed cards. Any suggestions to narrow this down better or just replace the MB and go from there?

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

It does sound like the motherboard is going bad. You could take a look at it, physically, and see if you have any bulging or busting capacitors on the board. That could explain why only certain parts are giving you trouble. I'd look around the PCI-Express and PCI slots first, as it sounds like that'd be where your issue is.

You could also try reinstalling again, so no old nVidia drivers are there, or make sure the nVidia driver were fully removed, and then try to install the ATI drivers:

It seems like I remember there being a free download available for removing nVidia drivers for you, but I didn't notice it right away this time.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

When I reinstalled windows the Nvidia drivers were removed. It would not let me run the install of them again because it could not see an Nvidia card.

I think it is the MB too, I just hate spending money! lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

Try completely clearing CMOS. Power off, move CLR CMOS jumper, remove battery, and short out battery terminals. Now replace battery, return jumper to original position, start up and enter BIOS. Put in required parameters, date, time, etc.

You could also try a BIOS update if one is available...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Was the older ATI card also a PCI-E card?
Depending on what revision of board does it have onboard video? Does the onboard video allow driver install?
Have you entered the BIOS and if available shut off the onboard video?

There is no onboard video for the MB.

JohnThePhoneGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back