Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BAD HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
Hello to all...

1.) PC could not boot into W2K without blue screening
2.) W2K repair install failed repeatedly so I decide to
wipe the drive (the HDD drive is a Fujitsu ..ughhh) and
start from scratch
3. Slaved Fujitsu drive to another PC and grabbed data
that way. Booted PC with Win98 Startup Disk and
reformatted the drive.
4.) Booted with W2K Pro CD, and deleted all partions and
created new partition
5.) W2K is stuck at 73% in the formatting process (re-
started it twice).

BAD HDD?

Yep. Or at least it can't see an address mark. Sometimes running the manufacturer's diagnostic will bring it back to life.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hi muthabored - still having problems with that machine/drive? It could still be any hardware issue causing your problem. Definitely take Ed's advice with the diagnostic (apart from anything else, it should tell you if drive is bad or not). If the drive's ok - need to look at other components (RAM, drives, cards etc).

I came home from work and the format was complete and ready for the rest of the W2K installation. I still plan to run some sort of diagnostics on the disk because it should'nt have taken THAT long (format began at around 11 PM and was only at 73% this morning when I left at 7:00 am). I checked Fujitsu's site but couldn't find anything there. Any suggestions for another free diag. program?

Arjanvl...thank you!

Quickie question (if I can sneak it in)...I still plan to run the diag on the HDD BUT since I've got W2K Pro on it, Ima need to install the Service Packs...do they have to be installed in order?

No - just install SP4 (it includes the others).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back