Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad Hard Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldcomptrguy

Technical User
Mar 4, 2003
US
I have an 80G Maxtor hard drive, running Windows ME. It made a grinding noise and Scandisk showed numerous errors that could not be fixed. I went and got Drive Copy to copy the data to a good drive.

However, I never got the chance to use Drive Copy because when I went to start it, it would not start. I used a Windows ME startup floppy and ran scandisk. It only go to 3% and froze.

Anybody know of anyway to unfreeze this disk so I can try and save the data?

If it's that far gone, the only was is a data recovery company ($$$).

You can try putting it in another PC, but it sounds to me like it's not going to be recoverable.

D

Thanks danomac, I did try three different comptrs. No luck.

Put it on another PC as the slave drive, and hope that you can at least recover your data files by copying them to the master drive. And then dump it, it sounds like it's toast.

G

I even tried that Jovix. The comptr just couldn't read it.

Try freezing the hard drive over night. Try to use as slave to copy data before it warms up. Sounds crazy, but has been known to work.

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THEM IT MIGHT BE THE HARD DRIVE IT SELF THAT ITS DAMAGE BY THE WAY U TELLING US U TRYED ON THAT I HAD A PROBLEM LIKE IT BUT THERE WERE NOTHING I CAN DO TO IT BASICALLY THE HARD DRIVE WAS DAMAGE I EVEN TRY TO JUST JUST FORMAT THE DRIVE IT SELF INSTALL PROGRAMS ON IT BUT WHEN I BOOT UP THE PC AGAIN IT WAS BASICALLY DOING THE SAME THING SO I DONT THINK U CAN RECOVER IT

sanchez83,
Please don't use all caps. Some people will think you are shouting.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back