Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bad case of the jaggies - % based image not lookin good

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugg

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
US
hi all, I'm working on an html site for an aquaintance and having some issues with the graphics. I usually do web work in flash, so I am unsure how to overcome these difficulties in vanilla .html, here goes... The site in question ( - work-in-progress site) has some vertical text to it, I was wondering if there is a way to do the text vertically as a text element versus an image as when the window resizes (concurrently resizing the image) the image tends to get very "jaggy", or is there a trick to putting the image together which will aleviate these symptoms? I am having the same troubles with the button images at the bottom of the site, my feeling is that there is probably a reasonbly easy solution (formatting the buttons as text vs. raster) to this, but don't know for sure...

thanks for any input
bugg

on a side note, is there a way to set up the bottom frame (navigation bar) so that when the window is resized smaller than affords all the buttons that a horizontal slide shows up? thnx

No native HTML way of doing it, but you can get the effect you're after using the (IE Only) microsoft filters.

example:
[tt]
<DIV ID=&quot;uprightText&quot; STYLE=&quot;position:absolute;
left:270px;
filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=3)&quot;
>
YOUR TEXT HERE
</DIV>
[/tt]

The rotation values that can be used are as follow:
0 = not rotated / rotated 360 degrees
1 = top to bottom / rotated 90 degrees
2 = upside down, right to left / rotated 180 degrees
3 = bottom to top / rotated 270 degrees

As to your side note, getting the scroll-bar to appear when needed is not so much a matter of telling the browser to display one as it is a matter of not telling the browser not to display one.

example:
your code -
[tt]<frame src=&quot;navBar.htm&quot; name=&quot;navFrame&quot; scrolling=&quot;NO&quot; noresize >[/tt]
scrollbar code -
[tt]<frame src=&quot;navBar.htm&quot; name=&quot;navFrame&quot; noresize >[/tt]

thanks for the quick response! I have played with the scrolling property of the frameset a bit, but what it does when left to add scrollbar is to add a vertical one, I was wondering if there is a way to force a horizontal one instead...

thanks again
-bugg

The reason for that is that your navigation bar is comprised of a series of images one after the other with no structure around them such that where the available browser space is wide enough, the images line up horizontally like so:

X X X X X X

But when the available browser space shrinks, the browser repositions the content to best fit on the screen, so your images start appearing underneath each other like this

X X X X X
X

then

X X X X
X X

then

X X X
X X X

then

X X
X X
X X

and finally

X
X
X
X
X
X

The frame is not big enough vertically to hold all of the images stacked on top of each other - hence the vertical scrollbar. Also, since the frame is now only one image wide, there is no need for a horizontal scrollbar.

Try positioning your images in a single-row table, this will prevent them dropping down onto subsequent lines, and you should also see the horizontal scrollbar appearing when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back