Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad card

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevas92

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2009
US
I started getting some system lockups along with odd video glitches last week. I thought it was likely a virus so I tried to scan. Lockups were getting more and more frequent and I could not get a scan finished.

So,I disconnected my Raid 1 drives, installed a clean copy on WinXP on a spare HDD, hoping to add the raid back and scan from the clean OS. However, I now have some very odd colors, an a lovely squiggly line pattern throught the entire system, even during winxp install the video was just off. I thought it may be just due to the clean install being pre-SP1, so I got winxp patched up to SP3, still the same. So next step is to install the drivers that came with my video card. Installed just fine, reboot the finish and windows auto-reboots at the splash screen.

I could get into safe mode and uninstall the drivers, delete them completely from the drive, and it works again (glitches and color problems still persist).

I've since tried 4 different nvidia drivers that have all worked just fine on this system in the past. the only thing I have not been able to do is through in a different video card. No spare PCI-express cards lying around. All I have are some old AGP cards, but no AGP slot.

Sound like a dead video card or still a software issue? Thank you for any insight.

Asus P5B Delux - E8400 CPU
EVGA 8500GT PCI-express
WinXP-SP3

You are probably right but what struck me when reading your post was the combination of the P5B Deluxe which has an Intel P965 chipset (max 1066FSB) and the relatively new E8400 CPU with a front side bus of 1333.
Asus say the combination is supported but only by flashing to beta 1236 or higher (latest is 1238)
I know from my own experiences that putting odd combinations together can produce some hidden....lets say, anomolies.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back