Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bad blocks at regular intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeksis268

Technical User
Jul 22, 2009
GB
Hi all,

I have a western digital scorpio (WD2500BEVS) drive that when scanned, reports bad blocks at regular intervals of 1170 block 6 times, then there is a gap of 2522 blocks, then 7 gaps of 1170 blocks, then 2522 blocks, then 6 gaps of 1170, then 2522 etc..... across large parts of the disk

Does anyone have a clue what would cause such regular damage? and possibly how to repair it for the purposes of data recovery

any advice or information would be greatly appreciated

the results of a SMART check are attached

Don't know WHY, but that's not really the issue. Things happen - bad things. If the manufacturer's hard drive utility cannot "fix" it, you might as well get any data off that you can and toss the thing in the trash (assuming it's out of warranty).

Download the Ultimate Boot CD and burn it to a CD. Boot from it and run the Western Digital

Data recovery (professional) would be your next step if the data is valuable enough to spend $500 +

The problem is that there's a whole recording session on the disk with about 100 hours worth of mixing and editing, so i need some way of getting it running even just slightly better so as i can recover it all.
I'm starting to doubt that's possible at the moment though

if the data is REALLY important and worth it, then I would suggest you try a Professional Data Retrieval Company...

Kroll Ontrack Data Recovery

there are more out there, the above is just a suggestion...

or you may try it yourself with a good Data Recovery Program and a second PC...

Get Data Back, has been suggested by lots of other Professionals here in the Forum, you may wish to give it a try...

Get Data Back

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back