Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bad 43 subopt end

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is DHCP related. Have any of you seen the error "bad 43 subopt end" on the phone when it's booting up? All I could find online and through Mitel was the encapsulation is incorrect.

Thanks.

all phones or just 1?

Yes, I've seen this with 5340s attempting to boot from ISC's DHCP server (*nix-based, open-source). After multiple shenanigans with the client, it came down to ISC's DHCP did not fully support the RFC defining the options. This was buried in the ISC release notes...
What DHCP server are you using?

I'm using Microsoft DHCP. I've added the options 128 - 134. I've tried using option 43. This is happening with all phones in our test area. All production phones are operating from VLAN1, and the objective here is for the phone to boot to an IP from it's own VLAN and subnet and the PC attached to the phone to boot to an IP from VLAN1.

Would you be open to using LLDP or CDP and the 3300 as the DHCP server for the voice VLAN? Do your layer 2 switches support LLDP or CDP? If so set them up with a voice VLAN so that on boot the phones "advertise" that they are a voice devices and the layer 2 will supply them with the voice VLAN number. Then the phones will issue their DHCP request directly on the voice VLAN.

Otherwise setup option 125 on your Microsoft DHCP server. What are you using by the way. Server 2003 or 2008?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

You could try to create option 43 and put the same thing as in option 125.

My switch's will do LLDP. I'm not too familiar with it though. My switch's actually have layer 3 capability too. I would rather not use the Mitel as DHCP but rather keep it in one place. The Mitel here is is not a 3300 but an SX-200. I am using Windows 2003 and have not tried option 125. I have tried option 43 but it doesn't work.

Sorry I assumed 3300. I like to use the 3300 as a source of DHCP for the phones because the 3300 can easily be setup to only serve IP addresses to phones thus reducing the chance of a PC getting on the voice VLAN.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back