Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backweb message "check TCP/IP"

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovannn

Programmer
Dec 31, 2001
US
I am having some serious problems connecting lately and a pop-up window show up with a BACKWEB heading with a message to check my TCP/IP settings. I haven't mess with any settings lately. Has anyone seem this message before?
There are times when my computer connect to my ISP but it does not transmit or receive.

Copied from elsewhere:

[[ Are you (or were you) using McAfee Virus Scan. If so, McAfee used to subscribe to a commercial utility named Back Web - which delivered the latest DAT (Virus signature) files to update your anti-virus protection system.

As the name suggests, BackWeb operates "invisibly" in the background, every time you connect to the internet. It interrogated the McAfee web-site at regular intervals. When BackWeb discovered that an update had been published, it downloaded the necessary files to you PC.

McAfee was not the only company to use the BackWeb system. (Other companies may still use the system to provide automated file updates).
However, McAfee stopped using Backweb at least twelve months ago.

It occurs to me that you PC may still be trying to contact BackWeb.
If it cannot find the required data source, it will probably generate an error message.

As a first step, I suggest you check your start-up files, to see whether your PC is loading the BackWeb utility on start-up. If so, disable the BackWeb start-up. (If you are using Windows 98 or later, run MSConfig.exe to check the start-up configuration. You can also use MSConfig to disable selected programs from the Windows Startup
sequence) ]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back