Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backward/Forward Compatibility Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBear

Technical User
Sep 4, 2005
AU
Hi,

I couldnt find an answer to this question through search, so am posting it new...

I am using CR V10 (still!), and I have some new 'sample' reports which are in CR XI, that I need to edit/adjust into our standard company format.

Anyway, can I edit these in Ver 10 without stuffing up the reports??

Also, how easy is it to convert reports from V10 to XI as I may have to do this later with some other reports.

Thanks

I regularly work on reports in X that are created in XI, and there are only two problems I've noted. One is related to prompt text, which sometimes disappears when the report is reopened in XI, and then it has to be recreated. This problem may be specific to reports using commands. I also am forced to use different drivers for each version (because of remote access), which may contribute to this problem.

I've also experienced problems with certain SQL expressions which work one way in one version and then don't in the other, including conversions of datatype and also the literal date formatting (Oracle) where it has to be set up differently per version--this one might be a driver issue, too. I haven't ferreted this out.

Of course you can't use certain features in X that are available in XI, like dynamic cascading parameters--but I've even worked on reports with these--with a loss of prompt text, and without actually running them in X.

-LB

Thanks LB,

Thats most useful. I dont use SQL usually (presuming you're meaning creating sql on a command in Crystal), so that bit shouldnt be a problem, and the prompt text disappearing doesnt sound like a biggy either.

Cant wait to get XI!!! Just waiting on beaurocracy for approval to get out of the old software ..........

Cheers

regards

BB

*** Count your blessings not your problems******
:)

Depending on what you are doing with RPTs - and when you get the mgmt OK to move - you might want to go direct to CR-2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back