Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsefinally

Technical User
Apr 3, 2002
US
I am going to using 2000 Professional in an office. I want to be able to do daily data backups of QuickBooks(small files-fits on floppy now) and another small database. Then weekly do a system backup- Does this sound feasible?

I don't see why not. The backup tools in 2000 aren't all that special but even they should be able to handle a simple routine like that. Just set them up and scheduele them.

There's some good documentation on how to use the built in windows backup utility at geekgirls.com. One additional thing though. If you are using CD-RW's to backup your data, it seems to need you to trick the system into thinking that CD is a network drive in order to work in Windows 2000 Professional. So, you format a CDRW for read/write access (using some utility like Roxio Direct CD or something like that), you share out your CDRW, then you map a network drive to the CD on your machine. This will let the backup utility accept your CD as valid backup media. Kind of wierd, but it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back