Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbl4me

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
I have a redhat 9 server. I need to find a way to backup the mail and user folders. Using sendmail and IMAPd

thanks

Backup to what? Tape, a cd, another disk, another machine?

What part are you having trouble with? Choosing the tool (tar, cpio, pax, etc.) or identifying what you want to backup (find) ?

Tony Lawrence
Linux/Unix/Mac OS X Resources

Both pretty much, i want to backup to another server also running linux.

Lots of choices to use. There are off the shelf backup packages:

CA Arcserv, Veritas Netbackup, Legato Networker, BakBone Netvault, Amanda

There is exiting tools u already have:
tar, cpio, nfs copy, smb copy, rsync

What files do i need backed up for the email?

The mailboxes. Commonly /var/spool/mail/*, but maybe somewhers else like the directories under ~user/Maildir. Check the sendmail configuration; the spool files are the usual default location.

I got the spool/mail and the home folders. Are there any other folders critcal that i back up?

Will

Not for mail, I don't think. You might want to have a copy of your configuration files to make restoration onto a new server a bit easier.

In general, assuming that I have both the space and the time, I'd rather just back up everything. Who knows what I might need or want? Better to backup junk I'll never need than miss something.

Tony Lawrence
Linux/Unix/Mac OS X Resources

rsync is the way to go if you want to keep the 2 servers in sync . it is quick and easy to use

I use rsync/ssh to duplicate my main datacenter to an offsite location it works great and best of all it is free!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back