Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backups to network folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

no-sme-here

Programmer
Aug 21, 2009
US
Anyone successfully save backups to a network folder please? I cannot get passed the test connection phase.
Here is the info. I could not paste a screenshot in here for you so I typed it in:

Network Folder: \\192.168.x.x\backuptest
User name: SSI\user
Password: xxxx
Directory: backuptest

I can go the the address\folder via a cmd prompt on this virtual 2003 server just fine by typing in the path from a prompt. I confirmed that I made the folder shared with everyone and the shared name is correct. Just got me stumped.
Anyone have it working that can share their info please?

-First try removing the directory at the bottom, leave it blank
-Try to use forward slashes instead of back slashes

-See if you can ping the location drive from the BCM itself

Which BCM?
Which Release?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Have you made the network folder a shared folder on the host computer?.

Also

Network Folder: \\180.120.110.231\BCMUser name: ANGLE\TITAN
Password: xxxxxxxx
Directory: backuptest ( I don't put in anything against "Directory"

If you are trying to store a file in a network folder, make sure that the shared folder permissions are set to allow read write access for your chosen user name. I tend (On Windows 7 onwards) to add in "everyone" in the permissions and give it full control.

Finally if the test message shows "fail", then accept the settings and go into another part of the BCM data area such as time and date and then toggle back to the scheduled backup settings and try again. I've found that I then got "successful" when I retried it again.

If you have an FTP Server, then use that. I've managed to get a number of my customers to have their backup's sent externally via FTP. Works a treat!.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I have tried everything and checked for sharing permissions. It's a BCM50 I am experimenting with in a lab environment. It can ping the 2003 server. The login/password are correct. I cannot get it to save to a network folder though.
Here are the latest notes used and only the names and IP's are changed to protect the innocent....
Hi, I had the same problem today at configuring our backups. Here is what I've done to make it works :

Win Server
1-Create an account on the server with a decent password.
2-Create the shared folder "BCM" on the server.
3-Give read permission on the shared folder access to the backup account.
4-Give read NTFS permission to the backup account.
5-Log in once on the windows server with the backup account.

BCM Configuration
1-Backup to : Network Folder
2-Network Folder : \\IP_of_WinServer\BCM
3-User name : backupuser
4-Password : mydecentpassword
5-Directory : ***nothing_here!***

I would appreciate any input.

Is your shared folder off the root drive as too many folders in the path will fail. Just make it e.g. C:\BCM_Backups etc. Don't have it such as C:\Phone Systems\Customer sites\Contracts\BCM Backups\BCM 50 etc as this will fail.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

There are all sorts of reasons that the SMB client in the BCM will not authenticate with your server. You might have a domain controller with all kinds of authentication policies that could potentially block access from non-microsoft clients. You might have your SMB protocol policies set to only allow kerberos authentication or encrypted authentication which the older SMB client will not generally get along with. Can be a real pain to figure out.

I usually just setup the FTP service as my backup destination over a network. On the windows 2003 machine go into the add/remove programs, click on the add windows components. Look for application server and click on the details, click on the details for internet information service and check off the FTP item. Click on the ok prompts to start the install. You will be asked for the install CD for windows 2003. I usually have either placed the install files in a directory on the server or on some central location or I just download the ISO image and mount it as a virtual drive somewhere to do the install. You use the IIS management to setup the FTP. You can find guides on how to work with it easily enough.

Also if the domain controller is not the same machine I will also make a local user on that one machine just for the BCM to use as it's FTP login rather than a domain user. I setup the FTP server with a virtual folder pointing to the location where I want my backups and from there use the FTP server settings in the BCM.

Not sure how old the samba components on the BCM are but I'm guessing it's version 1. If everything else in the settings should have worked then often it's the extra requirements for encrypted authentication modes that the old samba client does not support that would be blocking the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back