Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backups taking forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

delorca

Technical User
Oct 15, 2003
GB
Hello There,

I have a veritas backup job running and it backs up arround 70GB of information.

The job always took arround 5 or 6 hours to complete but although the backup job has not changed the times for backup now are running into 12-16 hours?

I am not sure why the same job copying the same size of data are suddenly taking double the time to run?

Does any one have any ideas why this may be?

Do you need to format new tapes or something?

Any help would be greatly appreiated.

Cheers,

Del.

Give us information about your system. Type of drive being used for backup, which version of Backup Exec, how are you doing backups....anything else that might help us help you.

5 to 6 hours for 70GB is a LONG time. I was backing up 200+ GB in 6 hours. I use BE 8.6, have a DELL 136T tape library with two tape devices and backup server is a DELL 8450 with CPU=Quad 700 MHz processors, 3GB of RAM.....also used as a SQL Server 2000 server.

-SQLBill

Hi

Check out the speeds of the port all the servers are set too, this can effect the time as BE 9 likes to have them all the same.

Lambypie

Thanks for all your help.

It seems that port speeds did have the answer.

Many Thanks...

Can you pls explain where did you check the port settings, since i am experiencing the same issue.

Does this help - from another email on this forum...

I had a customer that recently installed Veritas Backup Exec 9.0. Since that time, they would routinely get an error backup one of their Windows 2000 servers. The error would remain the, but it would happen on different servers on a nightly basis. After fighting with Veritas a good length of time, they finally admitted that there was a communication issues with their product. It seems that the Media Server would attempt the talk to the Remote

Agents on a Port that it already had open but had not closed. To resolve this issue they had me make the following changes on the Media Server.

Bring up the Backup Exec console. Once this is up select the following: Tools -> Options. In the Options window, select Network. Check the boxes associated with Enable Media Server TCP Dynamic Range and Enable Remote Agent TCP Dynamic Range. Also modify the ports used for each of these. Under Enable Media Server TCP Dynamic Range enter 12000 - 15000. Under Enable Remote Agent TCP Dynamic Range use 16000 - 19000. These ranges may need to increased if you are backing up more than one client at a time.

I believe what Lamb is referring to is the configuration of the NIC card and the port on the switch it is plugged into.

If the port is set to Auto-Negotiate and the NIC is set to 100/FULL or Half Duplex, or vice versa, you can see network slowness and agent timeouts.

Backup Exec and actually your network connection in general work better when the two have the same settings. Either both Auto, or both forced to a speed.

Hope that helps

Hi Delorca: You've probably fixed this by now, but just in-case. Look at your backup logs, and check the running times on each server, do you see any gaps? I had this problem when my backup went from 6 hrs. to 9 with no changes in selections. It took me awhile to find it, but my tapes would just sit for a couple of hours then resume. I chased this for a while, until i rebooted my tape drive..
Now i do it once a week. Now it runs like it's suppose to again. Hope this helps 'cause veritas couldn't help me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back