Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backups creating large System Volume Information files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmaretzki

Technical User
Feb 9, 2009
US
This is on a W2K3 SP2 client (3 servers actually) - system files are named as some kind of SID or GUID and range anywhere from 800 MB to 4 GB in size.

Here is an actual file name (and yes the brackets are in the name as well):

{46082791-f5b2-11dd-b33a-0022190a0b78}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}

I initiated a test backup that generated two more at 3 and 4 hundred MB each before I killed the backup.

There are 2 - 4 of these files created every time the backup runs and they are eating about 53 GB worth of disk space currently (and growing).

v. 7 w/ latest updates applied, default settings on the subclient. These were also not visible until granting my account FC on the System Volume Information directory.

Deleting these should not be a problem, but they are hidden 'system' files complete with an ominous warning, but why aren't they being purged? Or for that matter, why are they being created in the first place? I will need to look at other clients tomorrow for similarities (if any).

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas
MBU Admin

I beleive those are VSS temporary files, but I could be wrong. Do you have VSS enabled for that subclient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back