Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backups before Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macola10

Technical User
Feb 28, 2011
US
The move to Progression on MS SQL Server was uneventful...but I am unsure how to do backups before I close, purge, etc. I know I can't copy and paste to a folder on my PC instead I have to go through the SQL Server Management Studio. In reading on this is sounds like a copy only backup should work.

Please share how you backup prior to closing, doing purges, etc.

Thanks

Hi Macola10....

You are correct....you cannot just copy a folder of files as a database backup with SQL as you could with Pervasive.

I always do a full database backup from SQL Server Management Studio prior to any major posting/closing event. You can always restore from that backup file in case something goes wrong.

Also, one other quick note....hopefully, when you made the move to SQL Server, you also set up some maintenance activities on your database.... The purpose of these tasks is to ensure the integrity and performance of your database. You can accomplish these tasks by generating a "maintenance plan" or you can generate your own scripts. Personally, I've gone the route of using my own scripts....

Jen

Thanks...I did a backup as you suggested. The business partner who installed everything set up the maintenance plan (hourly backups) and one at night. I had pretty much gotten self-sufficient, now it looks as if I have going to have to re-learn everything!!! Oh well, keep the old brain young I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back