Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BackupExec server crashed... need to read B2D data

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
this morning, I've had the great fortune of dealing with a multi-disk failure with the RAID array of by BE server.

fortuneatley, I have been doing B2D backups and have 3-4 weeks worth of data to restore from.

Is there a way, without reinstalling BE to a machine to read the B2D backups to find out what is contained in them?

Lets say there is not a way without reinstalling BE... will I still be able to view what is contained. Will Cataloging work?

any info someone can provide would be great. I am searching the web now for answers, thought I would post here too.

I will keep post updated with what I find.

Mark C.

If you reinstall backup exec you should be able to catalog the B2D backups. There is no way (that I know of) to examine the backups without backup exec. I hope you backups were not on the RAID volume that failed,

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

I ended up installing BE and was able to catalog the B2D backups without a problem.

yea, the whole server was one big RAID array... I can say that the server was built before I came on board... the sad part is I have to mend the broken pieces

Mark C.

I'd like to make a correction, kind of got ahead of myself....

I've got a external USB drive that was used on the server as part of a Removable Backup to Disk folder, or so I believe... as the new BE server will only see the data on this drive when I create a Removable B2D folder.

I have inventoried the drive, but can not catalog. I get an error msg;

"Physical Volume Drive library not found".

any idea????

Mark C.

That's exactly my problem, Mark--I posted about it a few minutes ago. How did you solve the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back