Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup... 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch77

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
PT
Hi,
I 'm trying to backup a Oracle 8i database, but i don't know how to do it, and i'd like to know if copying the datafiles, is the same thing of doing a backup.

thanks,
Mitch

Yes, if you have a copy of all essential files in a secure location you can always recover to that point by restoring files.

Please read thread186-54635 for additional details on doing a cold backup. Hot backups are a little more complicated, but allow you to keep the database open while doing the backup.

hello,

essential files, you mean files from
/ora/admin/INSTANCENAME and /ora/oradata/INSTANCENAME

There is more or that's all?

Thanks
Tomasz

Hi Tomasz. Please read Thread186-54635, as mentioned in my previous response. "Essential files" are the ones mentioned there, especially the ones obtained by querying v$datafile, v$controlfile, and v$logfile.

Hi,
If you are aiming at a cold back up , you should also take a dump of the database for extra security . The dump of the database should be taken using the export/import utility . According to me , taking a dump and keeping it safely is one of the best cold backup practices.this is because you have the data intact. You can always reinstall Oracle in case of a serious problem, and import the data from the latest dump.
In case of hot backups (enabling archive log mode) is by far the best backup practice.
In case you need any further details , you can contact me. I will be glad to help you out.

Regards,
Jayaram.
|-0 :) |-0

hi,

Thanks for help.
And how to make such a dump?

Tomasz

Jayaram is talking about doing periodic exports. You can find documentation on export and import in the Oracle utilities manual. In brief, you would run a command from a command prompt similar to the following:

exp userid=system/manager file={full path of export file} full=y log={full path of log file}

The parameter "full=y" means that everything in the database is included in the export except, I believe, the system catalog. The file specified by "file=" can be used as input to the import utility in order to restore lost data. The log file is very important for debugging. If there's a problem with the export, error messages will go there.

STRONGLY recommend you read the Oracle Backup and Recovery manual! You need to be familiar with not only the mechanics of what you are doing, but also understand the principles with which you are working.

The Import and Export utilities will be found in the Utility Users manual.

hello,

ok, I'll do it. Thank you very much.
I've worked on the MS SQL Server and now I've got to know Oracle very fast.

Thanks
Tomasz

In order to get a list of files to back up - I got this SQL script from a book called Oracle DBA 101.

set pages 999
col File_name format a45
col Tablespace_name format a20
col Bytes format 9999999999
col Blocks format 9999999999
col Member format a38
col Group# format 99999
col head off feedback off termout off
col Name format a10
column Dbname new_value xdb noprint
column Today new_value tdy noprint
select substr(Sysdate,1,9) Today from DUAL;
select Value Dbname from V$PARAMETER where Name = 'db_name';
spool &xdb.log
select 'Datafile Information for '||Name||' - '||Sysdate
from V$DATABASE, DUAL;
prompt
prompt
set head on feedback on termout on
select Name,Created,Log_mode,checkpoint_change#,archive_change# from V$DATABASE;
prompt
prompt
select a.Group#, a.member, b.bytes from V$LOGFILE a, V$LOG b
where a.Group# = b.Group#;
prompt
prompt
col Value heading 'CONTROL FILE INFO'
select Value from V$Parameter
where Name like '%control%';
prompt
prompt
select Tablespace_name, File_name, Bytes from DBA_DATA_FILES