Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotta98

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
Hi Guys,

We have a small network that consists of a dozen or so workstations with a mix of XP Pro and W2K Pro. We have a file server (Server 2003) and an exchange server (2003 o/s and exchange) and finally an old server (with 2003 server) that I like to call my backup server. I have ntbackup do an incremental of exchange to this server nightly and fileserver onece per week.

I am going to be upgrading the exchange server hardware in the next few weeks and also adding a tape drive. The new exchange box is a typical setup with RAID1.

My question is, on which server should I install the tape drive? Should I install the drive on the exchange box or on the fileserver box? I know it may be a silly question and it may not matter either way but I thought I would ask. I am sure someone has an opinion on this.

Thanks in advance.

Technically it does not really matter where you put the Backup device. The only thing you need to keep in mind is network traffic if th device is on another server. If that is not an issue overnight, then put it on a less critical server, like your fileserver.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

If the tape drive is dedicated to the exchange server then I would recommend attaching it directly to the exchange box.
If it will be shared you may want to attach it to whatever server will be moving the most data (therefore making it lan free, avoiding network issues and bandwidth constraints).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back