Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarsierSpectral

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2003
US
I have a computer with a bad HD. I need to replace the HD soon. I am still able to boot and access everything. I am backing up all the data right now.
Is there any other way of transferring everything to a disk/HD to simplify the transfer process to another HD?

The ideal thing to do would be to backup the user data and install the new HD with a fresh install of Windows, then restore the data.

What do you have available for backups? Network locations? Tape drive?

I use tape backup over the network.
I have to find out what manufacturer is the drive

thanks

One of the easiest ways to backup the data is to use Ghost. Do a Disk to Disk clone, and make sure you go into options and choose the Force Clone option. This option will clone your cd even if it finds problems. If the drive is healthy enough then after the clone you can run a checkdisk on the new drive and fix any errors that came across from the old drive.

If you can avoid using any type of cloning, I would do it. If you don't have the software you need to re-install, then you have no choice. A clean install and restoring the data is always the safest way to go.

OK this Dell computer came with this drive WD-XL30
I went to To get data lifeguard. Well, the product is not listed, but it also doesn't say anywhere that data lifeguard tools will et me ttransfer data from one drive to the other.
Anyone has any ideas?

here is the link for your drive.

scroll down and you will see download Digsetup11_win.zip

If you put the drive wdxl30 in the search box then select which version of data lifeguard you want it will put that file there for download. You shold use the data lifeguard tools 11 for windows. It will explain what you need and how to use it.

Hope this helps.

here are the instructions for data lifeguard.
Instructions:
Download the dlgsetup11_win.zip.
Extract and run the setup.exe file.
Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
Once installed, you will be prompted to run the program or may run the program manually from either the programs menu or from the shortcut on your desktop.
You will see the following options:
VIEW INSTALLATION TUTORIAL - Instructions on how to connect your new hard drive to the computer.
SETUP YOUR HARD DRIVE - Setup a hard drive already connected to your computer.
DRIVE-TO-DRIVE COPY - Copy all the files or a specific folder from one drive to another.
HARD DRIVE INFORMATION - Jumper Settings and other technical information about your hard drive.
Select the task you wish to perform.

OK thanks. Now am I supposed to do that after I install the new drive or before?
My new drive is WD400BB.

The software will be the same for both drives. If you read the doc that comes with the software they will show you the jumper settings you need on the new drive. You boot the system with both drives in it. If I remember you make a disk and boot that. Run their software and do a drive to drive copy then remove the old drive change the jumpers on the new dirve and boot from the new drive.

I did a 80gb disk in about 1 hour. It depends on how much data there might be and how fast the system is.

Great.
So, I downloaded the program. I install in on the machine that I am putting the new drive in. I am installing it on the HD that is about to go bad. Then just follow the instructions for adding the new drive, moveing files over and taking the bad drive?

Does that sound right?

Great, I am going to do that in about 4 hours :)
Thank you for all the help

I just want to thank everyone for their help and report that everything worked out perfectly. I was able to use Data Lifeguard.

Thank you very much!

Hi,

Does anyone use the Backup Utility that comes with XP Pro?

I just backed up about 150GB and some folers have a RED EXCLAMATION POINT by them. What does that mean? I've been looking in the help file and the windows web site... If anyone knows, Thanks!!

Thanks again!

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back